The Ascent Backpack and Tote is a sleek and slim bag that can be easily converted from a backpack to a tote. Combining style and utility, it includes a deep main compartment, slanted zipper pocket on the front, vertical zipper pocket in the back, and an interior slip pocket. A slim strap wraps over the top to secure the folded over body, with a small front clasp detail. Dual clasp straps allow the bag to convert quickly, depending on your preferred style.
- Two exterior zippered pockets
- One interior slip pocket
- Closed via a zippered top and wrap over strap with clasp
- Two dual-clasp straps that can be removed, using 1 strap for a tote-style bag
- Written instructions as well as detailed pictures
- YouTube/Video Tutorial Links
- Printable, Projector, & A0 Files
14” tall, 11” wide, 3” deep
- 1/2 yard of 56" main exterior fabric . Vinyl or faux leather is recommended, but instructions are included for using Canvas or other stable woven fabrics as well.
- 1/2 yard of 56" accent exterior fabric.
- 1 1/2 yd cotton woven for lining (44” WOF) or 1 1/4 yard cotton woven (56” WOF).
- 4 yd interfacing (SF101 recommended). Add an additional 2.5 yards if using woven fabric for the exterior that needs to be interfaced twice, such as Canvas.
- 1/2” Hardware:
- (1) Lobster Clasp
- (1) D-Ring
- (1) Slider is optional (slider is purely decorative)
- 1” Hardware:
- (4) Lobster Clasps
- (4) D-Rings
- (2) Strap Sliders
- (16) Large 9mm Cap (10mm post) Rivets, OR (16) Medium 9mm Cap (8mm post) Rivets if using Canvas or other woven fabric for Exterior
- 1 Yard of #5 Zipper Tape with 3 zipper pulls
- 1 Handmade Tag (optional)
- 1/4” double sided wash away tape
- Chalk or marking pen
- Rivet setting tool
- Duct tape
- Acrylic leather paint if using vinyl/faux leather
- Hump Jumper Teflon Sewing Machine Foot
This bag is categorized as Intermediate, but can be sewn by a beginner who is familiar with basic sewing terms. There is a video sew a long included with the pattern for visual learners and those who prefer a little more detail about sewing bags.
**Every part of this pattern can be done on a domestic machine. You do not need an industrial to sew this bag!!**
ASCENT FABRIC DESIGN
Love the Ascent fabric used to make the Ascent Backpack? By purchasing this pattern buyer will receive a one time code to preorder this fabric on any base at a 10% discount. Ascent fabric can be found in our Pick-A-Print section.
Want to know more about this pattern? Interested in hack and what all the testers used to make their bags? Please check out all our related blog posts.
Tester Round Up: https://www.thestyledmagnolia.com/post/ascent-tester-round-up
Ascent Modifications: https://www.thestyledmagnolia.com/post/ascent-modifications
** This is not a physical bag. Due to this being an instant download there will be no refunds for digital products.**
ASCENT BACKPACK & TOTE
This purchase is for a PDF pattern, not a finished product. There are NO REFUNDS for digital files sold.